With this delicious, easy-to-prepare recipe you can include kale as part of your Healthiest Way of Eating in a matter of minutes. Kale is one of the healthiest vegetables around with one serving providing you with an excellent source of health-promoting vitamins A and K. Enjoy!
|Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Chop garlic and let it sit for 5 minutes to enhance its health-promoting properties.
- Fill bottom of steamer with 2 inches of water and bring to boil.
- While water is coming to a boil, slice kale leaves into 1/2-inch slices, and cut again crosswise. Cut stems into 1/4-inch slices. Let kale sit for at least 5 minutes.
- When water comes to a boil, add kale (and onion if desired)to the steamer basket and cover. Steam for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and toss with Mediterranean Dressing ingredients. Mediterranean Dressing does not have to be made separately. For the best flavor, toss with dressing while kale is still hot.
- Top with any/all of optional ingredients.
5-minute Healthy Steamed Kale
Introduction to Recipe Rating System Chart
In order to better help you identify recipes that feature a high concentration of nutrients for the calories they contain, we created a Recipe Rating System. This system allows us to highlight the recipes that are especially rich in particular nutrients. The following chart shows the nutrients for which 5-Minute Kale is either an excellent, very good, or good source (below the chart you will find a table that explains these qualifications). If a nutrient is not listed in the chart, it does not necessarily mean that the recipe doesn’t contain it. It simply means that the nutrient is not provided in a sufficient amount or concentration to meet our rating criteria. (To view this recipe’s in-depth nutritional profile that includes values for dozens of nutrients – not just the ones rated as excellent, very good, or good – please use the link below the chart.) To read this chart accurately, you’ll need to glance back up to see the ingredients used in the recipe and the number of serving sizes provided by the recipe. Our nutrient ratings are based on a single serving. For example, if a recipe makes 4 servings, you would be receiving the nutrient amounts listed in the chart by eating 1/4th of the combined ingredients found in the recipe. Now, returning to the chart itself, you can look next to the nutrient name in order to find the nutrient amount it offers, the percent Daily Value (DV%) that this amount represents, the nutrient density that we calculated for this recipe and nutrient, and the rating we established in our rating system. For most of our nutrient ratings, we adopted the government standards for food labeling that are found in the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s “Reference Values for Nutrition Labeling.” Read more background information and details of our rating system.
5-minute Healthy Steamed Kale
|vitamin K||1852.96 mcg||2059||124.6||excellent|
|vitamin A||3488.34 mcg RAE||388||23.4||excellent|
|vitamin C||276.14 mg||368||22.3||excellent|
|copper||0.66 mg||73||4.4||very good|
|vitamin B6||0.64 mg||38||2.3||good|
Density>=7.6 AND DRI/DV>=10%
|very good||DRI/DV>=50% OR
Density>=3.4 AND DRI/DV>=5%
Density>=1.5 AND DRI/DV>=2.5%
In-Depth Nutritional Profile for 5-Minute Kale
Published at Sun, 07 Jan 2018 15:54:02 -0500