This delicious easy sauce is best made with ripe, home grown tomatoes or fully ripened tomatoes that have not been picked green. It takest just minutes to prepare. If ripe tomatoes are not available, you can use organic canned diced or crushed tomatoes.
|Prep and Cook Time: 0
- Finely chop garlic and onions and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Dice tomatoes into 1/2″ pieces (no need to remove seeds). If using canned tomatoes do not drain.
- Heat 2 TBS or broth or water in a stainless steel skillet over medium low heat (low if your burner is high output) in a stainless steel skillet and cover. Be sure not to let the liquid evaporate.
- When the liquid begins to steam add onions and saute covered for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, honey, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Simmer over medium to medium low covered until tomatoes are soft, about 5 minutes. The sauce will be full of color and fresh flavors.
If you prefer to cook your sauce a little longer, turn heat to low and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from burner. Add olive oil and basil and mix well breaking up any large pieces of tomato. For richer flavor you may want to add more olive oil.
Research shows that the fat soluble vitamins and carotenoids found in foods such as tomatoes may better absorbed when consumed with fat containing foods like extra virgin olive oil.
This sauce can be made 1-2 weeks ahead if kept refrigerated.
Powered by fulltextrss.com
Published at Sat, 09 Sep 2017 19:00:25 -0400